Nine high school marching bands‚ including one team of baton twirlers‚ performed alongside more than 100 military and community groups in Washington, D.C., during the official 2007 America’s National Independence Day Parade. More than 300,000 spectators lined a one-mile stretch of Constitution Avenue to watch the parade. This year’s bands came from all over the United States, attending from as far west as Arizona. They were selected based on quality as well as geographical, ethnic and stylistic diversity. “We contact governors’ and senators’ offices and ask for recommendations,” says Ned Elliott, production director for Music Celebrations International.
Listed here are the high school bands that performed at this year’s parade.
- Carolina Forest High School—Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Clinton High School—Clinton, Wis.
- Columbus High School—Columbus, Wis.
- Raytown High School—Raytown, Mo.
- Red Star Twirlers—East Derry, N.H.
- Santaluces High School—Lantana, Fla.
- Springdale High School—Springdale, Ark.
- Sundown High School—Sundown, Texas
- Willow Canyon High School—Surprise, Ariz.