Based on reader suggestions, our editorial staff put together Halftime Magazine’s first annual Top 10 Marching Moments of the Year. 2008 was a great year in the marching arts from coast-to-coast, and here are some of our favorite moments:
10. Bethune Cookman “Obama Drill”
9. United Percussion Spinning Gyroscope
8. ESPN Battle of the Bands
7. Cavaliers Alumni Corps
6. Avon’s loss at Indiana State Championships and comeback to win BOA Grand Nationals
5. Flanagan’s win for WGI Scholastic World
4. Ohio State School for the Blind selection for the 2010 Rose Parade
3. Debut of the U.S. Army All-American Marching Band
2. U.S. Olympic Orchestra performance in Tiananmen Square
and (drum roll, please) …
Phantom Regiment shocked the drum corps world by overtaking the Blue Devils at the 2008 DCI World Championships after entering the quarterfinals in fourth place.
Phantom seemed a fan favorite as the crowd erupted for the championships announcement, and the stadium roared throughout the encore of “Spartacus.” Blue Devils B were also knocked from the top spot in Open Class when the Vanguard Cadets took first place in an upset.
Click here to read the detailed list with descriptions, photos and videos (where available).
In the next issue, we’ll be looking at the Top 10 college alumni marching bands. Nominate your favorites here.