When you’re on the road for months at a time, especially for a summer drum corps tour, it may be more difficult to stay healthy. You’re constantly pounding the pavement, sleeping less and are surrounded by about a hundred other people at any given moment. To avoid getting seriously ill, keep these ideas in mind.
- Have a full physical done prior to the start of the tour even if your corps doesn’t require it; the checkup should include a full blood panel to check blood levels as well as kidney and liver function.
- Never take more than the recommended dose of any medication unless specifically instructed by a physician.
- Tell your doctor about all the medications, including over-the-counter pain killers and allergy meds, that you may be taking to prevent a bad combination.
- Take a multivitamin everyday to ensure that you are getting all the iron and B vitamins you need.
- Keep track of how long something has been hurting you.
- When you’re really in pain, TELL SOMEONE! Don’t wait until it’s too late to get medical help. Ignoring that oozing cut or painful toe could have you benched by finals night.